26°C Showers Early

Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum

Attractions Bendigo CBD

Hours: Open 7 days a week 10am to 4pm, Closed public holidays and Saturday 22th Dec and opens 7 Jan 2019.

Phone: (03) 5442-4513

The Soldiers Memorial Institute Military Museum has undergone a major revitalisation of the building in consultation with Heritage Victoria. The museum reopened on 16 November 2018 with a new wing for use as a temporary exhibition space. The permanent displays with a rotation of the collection remember and honour central Victorians experience in war and peacekeeping.

The Museum collection is housed in the Soldiers Memorial Institute in the center of Bendigo. The origins of the building go back to before the end of the Great War. The Memorial was opened by the then Governor, the Earl of Stradbroke on Tuesday 15th November 1921. It was a fitting memorial to the thousands of Bendigo boys who enlisted and to those who made the supreme sacrifice. The Bendigo RSL Sub Branch was granted tenancy from that day on. The massive brass Honor Rolls on the front of the memorial were unveiled by the Federal President of Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League of Australia, Captain Gilbert Dyett (Later to become Sir Gilbert) on Sunday 25th April 1926.


The decision to turn the memorial into a Museum came about after discussions lasting some 18 months with Passchendaele Barracks Military Historical Society whose collection was housed in the old Barracks in Mollison Street Bendigo.

Initially the Museum opened to the public on a trial basis in October 1997 and officially in February 1998. The collection has grown at a steady rate since.

The collection now covers from pre Boer War to Afghanistan including Army, Navy, Air Force, POW's and Women's Services. The material is extensive from medals, uniforms & equipment, firearms, swords and bayonets, trench art, personnel items, diaries, letters and post cards. There are some 80 plus folders containing copies of diaries, photos, letters, post cards and records laid out on tables for visitors to browse. One significant collection is the number of Honor Rolls from old Schools and Churches that have closed down. A major part of the collection revolves around Bendigo's own 38th Battalian AIF which was raised in 1916 for service overseas. Their Battle Honors are a major part of the collection. The Regimental Colours of the 38ths predecessor, the 67th Battalian are also on display. A major boost to the 38th collection was the photos taken by Jack and Bert Grinton which was to become known around Australia as A Camera on the Somme. Their personnel effects from the War are also part of the display.

We also have a large library and volumes of research records. Information is available on researching service records, medals, entitlements and related issues.

The Building and Museum collection are a lasting tribute to the men and women of Australia who served their country.

Entrance to museum including temporary exhibitions; $6 Adults, $5 Concession, $4 Students, Discounts for serving and RSL members Please make an appointment for group bookings with tour.

Open 7 days a week 10am to 4pm, Closed public holidays and Saturday 22th Dec and opens 7 Jan 2019.

37-39 Pall Mall, Bendigo VIC 3550, Australia


Travelling from Melbourne: along the Calder Fwy, you will arrive in Bendigo at the Alexandra Fountain continue for 100 meters you will find the Soldiers Memorial Museum on your left hand side.